Saturday, January 30, 2010

Unlocked phone

An Unlocked Cell Phone is a cell phone that can be used with various GSM-compatible carriers worldwide (a GSM phone requires a SIM card). That means an
unlocked phone can be used within United States with T-Mobile, Cingular/AT&T, etc., provided the phone supports the frequencies of the service provider. Unlocked cell phones can also be used with many other GSM service providers/carriers around the world.

Along with 500,000 other consumers in the United States, I went out and bought myself an iPhone this past weekend. While by far this is the best phone, iPod, and mobile Internet Browser I’ve ever used (just like Steve Jobs said), there are plenty of reviews on the web which can tell you all about that.

What I am more interested in, is “Can I use it to replace my Blackberry?”

The main things I’m looking for is this:
1. Able to connect to Exchange
2. Push Email
3. Filtering which email folders I see from the phone
4. New emails in any folder appear on the main phone screen
5. Connecting to the corporate address book
6. Calendar Syncing

Before I start to describe my experience, I’d like to point out that this is based on the iPhone’s “1.0″ software. Apple has indicated that it will be improving its software over time. As all the limitations I mention here can be resolved by a software update, I would hope that Apple will be able to address these issues quickly, which would have a huge impact on my conclusions.

No comments:

Seek!