Monday, March 3, 2008

I Am a Foochow Boy

I am a foochow Chinese kid, yes I am, though some of my friends say that I don't look like one.

But I’m proud being foochow, with all the foochow blood running inside me.
One thing I cannot deny about Foochows are that they are really very careful with handling with money. Or in other words, we call that as Kiam Siap. Some people will sometimes find that irritating though. Hihi, but I think its important not to be spendthrift.

But another thing some Foochows should really change is their LOUD tone of voice. Gosh, I’ve got a foochow friend, a female some more, who speaks so loudly and you can even hear her from so faraway.

I’m not sure if she made it up to draw attention or is it just natural to her, even my neighbor agreed to that, he got so irritated with that voice. Haha !! Same thing applies to me, I should really lower down my voice and natural high.

Saw the news today : Foochow clansmen urged to back BN

MIRI: The Foochows in Malaysia must rally behind the Barisan Nasional as they owe their success in commerce and trade to the ruling government, said Foochow community leader Datuk Jimmy Law Hieng Wei.

Law, chairman of both the Malaysia Foochow Association and Sarawak Foochow Association, urged the Foochows – a powerful business community at state and national level – to throw their full weight behind Barisan on March 8.

His appeal to the Foochows should serve as a timely boost for the Chinese Barisan component parties, particularly the Sarawak United People’s Party (SUPP), that are facing tough fights.

The Foochows, who control a big portion of commercial and industrial sectors ranging from ship-building to construction to supermarket chains, are powerful voters because they can swing the voting trend in favour of either the Barisan or the opposition in constituencies where they are the majority Chinese clan.

Law, who is the brother of former Science, Technology and Environment Minister Tan Sri Law Hieng Ding, is the vice-president of the Miri Foochow Association and holds many high-ranking posts in the Federation of Chinese Association and other Chinese-related community bodies in Miri, at state and national levels.

Speaking to various Chinese organisations here at a gathering on Monday, Law told the Foochows to “put aside the anger some of them have against certain Chinese party leaders”.
“Despite these anger and unhappiness, we Chinese are one big family. Whatever family problems we are facing do not change the fact that we are still a family.
“I appeal to all Foochows to put aside their personal feelings this elections and vote for the Barisan and for SUPP," he said.

The votes from the Foochows may prove decisive in several key urban constituencies like Bandar Kuching, Sibu, Lanang, Sarikei and even here, aside from other constituencies in peninsula states and in Sabah where there are large number of Foochows.

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

Hey, I am a foochow as well. I do not like to be known as one because people tend to label foochow as "weird" and "stingy". Well, I think there is a certain mentality that foochows have.

Eddy said...

yeah, that's the word 'stingy' haha, basically that's what people stereotype Foochows as.

Seek!